Sunday 4 August 2013

Relaxer Day - August 2013

Relaxer No 3 this year. Next relaxer due 13/10/2013 (10 weeks post)

On Saturday 3rd August 2013 I relaxed my hair at 11 weeks post.  The week prior, I washed and blow dried my hair to make it easier to manage for the relaxer process, as my roots are something else!  I bought two boxes of relaxer, but ended up only using one (score!).  I purchased the ORS Extra Strength Box kit. This time I used the half and half method to apply the relaxer:

1. I de-tangled my hair and parted it from ear to ear, clipped the top part away and put a plastic cap over it, secured with duck bill clips so that I could protect that half, whilst I relaxed the back half.

2. I put the Hollywood Beauty castor oil round my edges and onto the length of my hair to help protect it from over-processing, mixed up the relaxer and applied it.

3. I separated the back section into two and applied the relaxer around the outline of that section first, then in rows starting from the base of my head.  I repeated this for the other half.  This time I timed myself well and I managed to do both halves of the back in 10 minutes.

4. I used the next 10 minutes to go through each section, row by row, smoothing with the back of the comb and with my fingers, to make sure that it processed well.

5. I then rinsed out  the back section trying not to get the top half wet, but because I was lazy and didn't want to get into the shower, this was not too successful.  I stood over the bath with the shower head in my hand and my head to an a


ngle trying to rinse only the back of my head.  Inevitably some of the top section got wet.  I washed out the relaxer then I shampooed once

6. I then added another dose of shampoo, lathered it up, clipped up my hair and covered it with a plastic cap, to let it sit whilst I relaxed the top half.

7. I repeated steps 3 and 4, but this process took a total of 23 minutes (3 minutes longer than it should have)

8. I jumped in the shower and shampooed twice, leaving it on for about 5 mins on one occasion.

9. I then towel dried and added the apple cider vinegar mix to my whole head, put on a plastic cap and covered my whole head with a heated cap for 20 mins,

10. I rinsed my hair, then applied the ORS conditioner, covered my hair with a plastic cap then a heated cap for 20 mins and rinsed it out (phew - final time in the shower)

11. I t-shirt dried my hair, added leave in conditioner, de-tangled and put my hair into a pony tail with a scarf to air dry.

12. At night I added ORS moisturiser, and Olive oil, and put my hair into 6 bantu knots.  This is the result.



As you may be able to tell, I still have a lot of texture in the crown of my head, but the edges and the back half are pretty straight.  I just know that I will never get bone straight hair from a relaxer, my hair is too resistant.  On previous occasions where I have self relaxed or if I have asked a friend to help, it has always taken 30-40 minutes I should not exceed the 20 mins recommended, and this may be the cause of my brittle ends!  I don't know.  Anyway, I realise now that I will just have to settle for a looser texture when I relax, as opposed to bone straight hair.  No biggie I guess.

Textured Strands Struggles
I am still struggling with my ends, they are still frizzy and get tangled easily, I had a good trim from the hairdresser in My, but that does not seem to have had much of an effect on the frizziness. I have cut also given it a trim myself, but it does not seem to help!  I may have to cut it all off and start again, but I am not willing to do that just yet.

I was supposed to be at BSL by this time, so I have not reached my goal, but I'm not giving up.

8 comments:

  1. I love self-relazing in the half/half method. Its so much easier to control the processing time.

    www.savingourstrands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! It is the way forward for me I think!

      Delete
  2. Nice results! You don't look too far off BSL :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've kept cutting my hair, but I'm pressing on to get there, hopefully I'll reach BSL by December

      Delete
  3. The results from your relaxer look great! You will definitely make BSL by December, you are like 1/2 an inch away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne, I'll keep updating this blog with my progress.

      Delete
  4. Love the definition of your curls!

    blutifulblaqhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, I'm gonna try and do a bantu knot at the crown of my head next time, that should give me a bit more volume and consistency!

      Delete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...